Lentil Meatballs (with texturized soy)
Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like having a traditional dish such a meatballs, vegan meatballs of course, so I decided try a few ways of making them and this is the very best recipe I got.
I don’t know you are used to have meatballs, battered or not and I tried both, and even two different kinds of battering. And you know what? I couldn’t say which one is the best, all of them were delicious and very tasty.
So you decide, battering takes a little longer, it worths it, though.
As you see in the picture, I served them with a baked sweet potato (with a dash of olive oil and covered with foil) and chimichurri. This is just an idea, you can serve them with potatoes and a salad, for example.
Lentil Meatballs (with texturized soy) Recipe:
Ingredients to make 14 Meatbalss:
- 1 1/3 cup lentils (overnight soaked) + 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup minced textured soy + 2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- To batter 1: chickpea flour + water
- To batter 2: chickpea flour + water and breadcrumbs
- In a pot place the lentils, water and salt. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and let it cook until the water is completely evaporated.
- To rehydrated the soy, boil the soy’s water, then remove it from the heat and add that water to the textured soy. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- When the lentils are already cooked, blend and let it cool.
- Drain soy’s water if necessary and add them to the lentils. Add garlic, cumin and parsley, mix thoroughly until well combine. Freeze 10 minutes.
- Shape the balls the size you prefer.
- If you don’t want to coat the meatballs in batter you can already place olive oil in a pan and fry.
- If you prefer a good batter, mix chickpea flour and water until get an egg texture. Then you can try batter only with this mix or after it cover with bread crumbs. Fry and serve.