Vegan Sushi easy to make at home
Being a sushi master is not something easy, but we can make a decent vegan sushi at home in an easy way. That’s why after a few attempts I decided share the recipe with you.
Let’s see, who likes sushi? or I’d say who doesn’t like sushi? If you don’t, I’m sorry but I don’t understand you, vegan sushi is one of my favorite dishes in the world.
Sometimes I order sushi to be brought home but I easily get bored of the typical avocado, cucumber or avocado-cucumber makis… The variety of vegan sushi is not too big in some restaurants.
Another reason why I like making homemade sushi is that I can make it with brown rice, which means more fibre!
Anyway you can use the normal sushi rice to make this makis.
Recipe to make easy Vegan Sushi for two (4 big rolls):
- 1 cup rice (I used brown rice, but you can use sushi rice)
- 2 cups water (if you use sishu rice, then use only one cup)
- 80 ml rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar (I used unrefined cane sugar)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 nori sheets
- Filling: 1/2 avocado, a little carrot, 1/2 cucumber and 20 gr. red cabbage
- First we have to wash the rice until the water is clear.
- Transfer the rice to a pot to a medium heat and stir for a minute, add water, lightly increase the heat and bring to boil, then set a low heat and leave until the water is completely absorbed.
- In a small bowl mix the vinegar, sugar and salt. When the rice is ready, add this dressing and stir lightly and carefully with a wood spoon.
- After that, let it cool in a wood bowl, I used a chopping board, and spread well. If you are a sybarite, you can use a manual fan to ventilate the rice.
- We are going to need a bamboo rolling mat to roll the makis. First cover it with a piece of cling film and over it a nori sheet, then with wet hands spread a thin layer of rice. You must save about one centimeter without rice at the top side, this part is the one which is going to keep the maki sticked. That’s why you must moisten this part with a little of water.
- Cut into julienne all the ingredients you’re going to use to fill the sushi and place them in the closer side to you (leave some space at the lower part). Start rolling the mat from you to the top (to the wet side).
- To chop the makis into smaller pieces, wet the knife to avoid sticking.
Serve with soy sauce and wasabi, if you like spicy flavour.